Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Diabetes: Poor Lifestyle or Something Else?

People are often told that diabetes is their own fault, a result of poor lifestyle, but could there be something else to blame?
We are often told that diabetes is due to poor lifestyles, junk food and lack of exercise.

As a person who has diabetes, and is now insulin dependent, as well as having other health problems, I always felt this was too simplistic.

Recently I asked to be referred to sort out a problem that I have had for around 50 years - poor joints and muscles. I was referred to an enhanced physiotherapist who after asking me many questions is to refer me to a Rheumatologist.

One thing she said struck me as odd: she asked if I had ever been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Whilst I have been told that one joint (my right wrist) does have arthritis I always believed it was due to osteo-arthritis. I have had problems all my life practically with regards to this wrist and other joints in my body.

I decided to check out Rhumatoid Arthritis (RA) on the internet and was surprised to find it is an auto-immune disease. As I looked further into this I discovered that diabetes, and underactive thyroid, are also auto-immune diseases. As no medical professional up to now has ever said this to me I was very surprised, considering I have both of these diseases. Read more

No comments: